Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Can we make necklaces??"

The girls are a little rough with necklaces... and bracelets, and pretty much any kind of jewelry. So, when necklaces get broken - I, being the person that doesn't like to throw much away, save them and put them in our craft drawer in case we ever want to make a new necklace out of old parts.

The girls know this. And have been asking if they can make some necklaces... and of course, I'm just too busy or frantic to get everything else done. "Not now, but maybe another day."

*click, ding* --- a light bulb if you will...

I'm recalling a lot of nagging on my part to get things done lately. And stickers have lost their fascination temporarily. So, I took the girls to Michael's and we picked out a big bag of beads!

"For every chore you do, you get a bead (or two) -- and at the end of the day, when they want to play but the playroom is clean (and forbidden to mess up until tomorrow) they can string their beads to make their necklace or bracelet.

I see lots of necklaces and bracelets in the future -- so, I plan on teaching the girls about selling their jewelry for the semi-annual Entrepreneurship Day. Then the money that they get for selling their 'wares' can go toward something that they want (more fancy beads, toys, whatever).

That is, if they don't give them all away to their friends first -- which is fine, too. Hey, economics at its best (Law of Diminishing Returns -- Cost-Benefit Analysis)!

Primary terms:
I suspect our discussion will go something like this:
'You have to pick what you want to do. You can't do both with the same necklace. What you give away, you can't sell. But you don't have to sell any. It's what you want.'

No comments:

Post a Comment